The Conservatory building has a long and prominent history. Built in 1903 for the Dodge Dry Goods Co., this handsome steel and masonry edifice has housed a number of department stores throughout the years, including The Church Company, The Edwards Store, The Carl Company, The Gay Company, and finally Stanley’s Dry Goods from 1925 until 1989. When Deane and Jeff Pfiel renovated the entire building they also named the building “The Conservatory” after the Troy Conservatory of Music, which occupied the top floor for many decades starting in 1904.
At five stories, The Conservatory was Troy’s first skyscraper. Built by skyscraper construction pioneer George A. Fuller Co., it is a prototype of skeletal steel frame construction. The George A. Fuller Company’s accomplishments include New York’s famous Flatiron building, designed by Daniel Burnham, the New York Times Building, The Lincoln Memorial, the National Cathedral in Washington and dozens of other landmarks throughout the United States.