offers the finest accommodations for 21st century urban living, while paying homage to the great history that took place inside its walls for many years. -JB
The CONSERVATORY building has a long and prominent history. Built in 1903 for the Dodge Dry Goods Co., this handsome steel and masonry edifice has housed a number of department stores throughout the years, including The Church Company, The Edwards Store, The Carl Company, The Gay Company, and finally Stanley’s Dry Goods from 1925 until 1989. We’ve named the building “The CONSERVATORY” after the Troy Conservatory of Music, which occupied the top floor for many decades starting in 1904.
At five stories, The CONSERVATORY was Troy’s first skyscraper. Built by skyscraper construction pioneer George A. Fuller Co., it is a prototype of skeletal steel frame construction. The George A. Fuller Company's accomplishments include New York's famous Flatiron building, designed by Daniel Burnham, the New York Times Building, The Lincoln Memorial, the National Cathedral in Washington and dozens of other landmarks throughout the United States.
To prepare for its second century,The CONSERVATORY has undergone a total historic rehabilitation of the exterior, including reconstruction of the early 1900s storefronts. Interior renovations to the Troy apartments include new electrical, plumbing and HVAC infrastructure and systems, updated elevator, insulated glass in original window frames, and renovated retail space, which is now home to the handsome, new, Pfeil Hardware & Paint store. The creation of 19 elegant apartments on the upper four floors, and a residential parking garage in the basement make The CONSERVATORY one of the most attractive and sought-after locations in the Albany NY Capital region.